Thursday, September 15, 2011

First the Worst?

I had my first consultation with the first person who was crazy enough , had enough faith in me to commission a scripture case (it was actually her idea when she saw my mom's wallet (still to post) but now I am hoping it can be something that I can DO for people... so if ya know anyone...hint...hint). This will be my first scripture case and I am really excited about.
As I met with her, we kinda discussed that she might want something a bit different than the usual leather flowers and such because this is for her husband as a Christmas present. This got me to shaking thinking, searching, and praying about what I could do.
She had suggested that maybe she wanted wildlife, the only thing I could think of for wildlife was my kiddos.... just kidding. I just wasn't sure if wildlife was something I could wanted to do for a scripture case. I was looking at burned and engrawed leather and was amazed at their beauty (and their price), but they do not have the hand carved quality or story.
Just for your information: Burning is a process where they burn an image onto the leather with a machine, and it can be personalized with names and things like that (if you are interested there is a great company in Lindon that does all sorts of LDS leather burnings). Engrawing is also machined and it is a process where they print an image on with ink or stain. These can also be very beautiful and are primarily done in Chili, if you know of a missionary who has gone there, they might have one of these.
So I was looking and decided I would just try to carve the Saviors image when He was being baptized by John the Baptist. I used some scrap leather, that way no one would need to know I had even tried if I failed. But I really like the way it turned out, so I am sharing it with the World (on my insignificant blog). There are some other things I think I might try as well, like the First Vision maybe?
With Leather there are no rough drafts, once it is on there, it is on there. There are some things I know I will do differently when I do it again, I would like to try using an undercutting method to maybe bring out some more detail. I have never done undercutting (to my knowledge) so there might be scrap leather picture up for grabs later on... so keep following :). I also want to try some more things with staining... I am hoping to meet up with Grandpa to show him and see what he thinks I can do to make it better.
Well let me know what you think, and if you like it feel free to post it on facebook or share with your friends ( I know it is only by the support of my Heavenly Father, family and friends that there is any chance I will ever be successful at this). I love you and I thank you for your support!


7 comments:

  1. Wow that is incredible. Seriously you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I am excited to hear from you today!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! You are incredible talented! Hugs- Glora

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job, I can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job, maybe I will want a scripture case next. You never cease to amaze me with what you can create.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this Sarah! -Tally

    ReplyDelete

leave me some love