Saturday, February 1, 2014

Excited and Nervous!!!!

I had a way cool experience this week. One that I hope I will never forget (hence the reason that I am recording it). Even though it is not over, and I am not sure how it will turn out I am still excited about it.

Tuesday night (after my sweet kiddos were asleep) I sat down to watch a show I like watching. It is called Switched at Birth, it is not the greatest show but I enjoy watching it because half of it is in sign language. I took 3 years of sign language in high school. although I do not know how much I actually learned. (uh-oh here comes an explanatory side-note!)

Side-note: My first year of sign language was taught by a deaf woman, and that was great. I loved Mrs. Swain. The only problem was that she brought her newborn baby to class with her, and the baby would cry all through class and Mrs. Swain had no idea. It was really cool to have her as a teacher though, but the next year she decided to be a stay at home mom.
Thus enters my second year of sign language (I love it when I can say stuff like thus enters, it makes me feel like my life belongs on the history channel... that and hence or thence), which was undoubtedly the least educational for me. We got Ms. Bezzant, (pronounced Bezz-ont, like the french not Bezz-ant like the bird ((I feel bad, but I think she must have been relentlessly teased about it, because if any called her Bezz-ant she would start to twitch)) ) who was probably only 6 years older than us (and constantly reminding us). She was bi-polar and was just really...odd. She would give us a test and then at the bottom of the test have personal probing questions that were supposedly "anonymous", even though they were on our test... with our names (never figured that one out). Questions like, how would you rate me as a teacher? Needless to say she needed A LOT of outside affirmations to function as a human being. If she did not get those affirmations things went a bit wonky. One time she got a negative review (I pity that poor un-anonymous "anonymous" tester ((who probably did not understand that their name was still on the test))), she was not happy and she disappeared for 2 weeks off to see her 63 year old boyfriend who lived on an army base in Kentucky. You know that if after 14 years I can still remember his name, rank and base that there were too many classes focused on him and not sign language. Plus there were MANY other odd things in that specific class that seemed to eat up the year. Such as our end of year review which ended up being her signing Celion Dion, My Heart Will Go On (Diva-ish right?) in her prom dress.
My third year was much better, but by then I was in advanced ASL and was still finger spelling every other word. Our teacher that year (yes surprisingly Ms. Bezz-ont was not able to return) was Clay. He was a recently returned missionary who served ASL to Palmyra New York. He grew up signing because his twin brother was deaf (who got to serve the same mission as him, cool right?). He was a great teacher and advanced ASL seemed like a bunch of friends quietly hanging out, as we were not allowed to speak at all.

End of long side-note. After I watched my episode of Switched at Birth I went to bed and had an awesome dream. I was at the Church and there was a ward party going on I looked over and I saw a 12-14 (ish) year old girl (I am beehive adviser so I was intrigued) signing to her mom. I went over and signed to them. It turned out that they had just moved to Elko, and had been inactive for years, but had gotten an invitation and wanted to come and see what the ward was like.  I do';t remember too much else about the dream but I woke up so HAPPY!

I woke Don up and told him about the dream, I was so excited and refreshed. I told him, it felt like it was kismet!" I was happy all day and even told my mom about the dream and how happy it made me later that afternoon.

That night I received a text message from the sister missionaries in our ward. Here is how it went:
Sisters: Sis Squire! WE are trying to find someone who knows enough sign language to visit a less active sister with us. DO you know ASL? -Sisters Messervy and Purcell-
Me: How funny! I had a dream about that last night! I don't remember a ton, but I can try and brush up
Sisters: That's so awesome! We tracted into her last week and we didn't know any so we waved and walked away. But we went back and wrote a note haha. How soon will you be ready to go on a visit? <:\> -Sisters Messervy and Purcell-
Me: You let me know and I will try and do my best


To keep it short (like I have ever done that), we are going tomorrow after church. I am nervous and excited (hence ((yay!)) the title of this post). I have been watching General Conference talks in sign language to try and brush up, and hopefully everything will go smoothly.

I thought this experience was just too cool not to try and remember or share for that matter. Heavenly Father knows us, He loves us, He prepares us, and He helps us to be what He wants us to be, and to bless His children. even if this sister is not receptive it has strengthened my testimony and made me more excited about life and missionary work. So if you get the chance, please utter a little prayer that everything will go well tomorrow. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. That really is so cool! I love experiences like these :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat-- I don't know enough church terms to be able to communicate- I had to brush up on medical for work at one point in time. So how'd it go?

    ReplyDelete

leave me some love